Chautauqua Park, located south on US Highway 77 across the Big Blue River bridge. This was the site of Chautauqua assemblies from 1889 until the 1920's. These assemblies were based on high moral standards and offered secular and religious education. The original Tabernacle, first used in 1889 is still standing and is used for Homestead Days and family reunions. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Gage County Court House, 6th & Grant, was built in 1892. It is a Richardsonian Romanesque limestone structure with a clock tower. The Gage County Court House was mentioned in Laura Ingalls Wilder's diary on Sunday, August 5, 1894. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Carnegie Library building, built in 1904, is located at 218 N. 5th St. In 1991, it was no longer used as a library. Noted for its Beaux Arts architectural style, the building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Beatrice Public Library and Arboretum, located at the corner of 16th and Court streets, was built in 1991 on the site of the former Sonderegger Nurseries. A exhibit on nurseries can be seen at the Gage County Museum.
Gage County Historical Society and Museum is located in Beatrice on the corner of 2nd and Court streets. It is housed in the Burlington Railroad Depot built in 1906. The depot was presented to the Gage County Historical Society by the Burlington Northern Railroad in 1973. The Museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Filley Stone Barn, part of the Gage County Historical Society's properties, is located two miles southwest of Filley, Nebraska (12 miles east of Beatrice on US Highway 136). Built in 1874, this four-story barn is the oldest limestone barn in Nebraska. The barn was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Palmer-Epard Cabin, located at Homestead National Historical Park, was built in 1867 on a nearby homestead. The dwelling was constructed of mixed hardwoods (oak, hackberry, ash, locust, walnut, and elm) and homemade bricks set in lime mortar. It was occupied consecutively by the Palmer and Epard families, then moved to Homestead National Monument in 1950. Today, the cabin is furnished to depict life in the 1880's.
Freeman School, also located at Homestead National Historical Park, was the oldest operating one-room schoolhouse in Nebraska until it was closed in 1967. Some of Daniel and Agnes Freeman's children were educated here. It has been restored to its appearance in 1890.
Learn more about properties on the National Register of Historic Places in Nebraska.